Labels

Friday, August 17, 2007

My bank is merging

I learnt today in the paper that my bank, the Mechanics and Farmers Bank, is going to merge with another durham institution: the Community Mutual Savings Bank.

Thankfully, they are going to keep the M&F name. I have to say, I mainly got an account there because of the Bank's name. The Mechanics and Farmers Bank: what a cool name.
I don't know why, I think that name is great in today's technology oriented society.

(I also have to admit that I also got an account there because one of their branches is really close to my house and is opened on Saturday.)

What I did not know and discovered reading the Article is that my bank is actually kind of special. It was an historic bank founded during the segregation, one hundred years ago and that It has played a major role in promoting the development of a black middle class. This bank was part of what was called "Black Wall Street".

By the way, the bank it is going to merge with was created almost at the same time and for the same purposes.

So, good luck with its expansion plans to the Mechanics and Farmers Bank.

No comments: